Tuesday 24 July 2012

Exemplar Four: Steven Holl

I'm a big fan of Steven Holl's Storefront for Art and Architecture so I was interested to research him.

Light and Depth:
One characteristic of Holl's section is that they often contain extremely expressive light. This is found through his conceptual sketches, b&w sections and also in his Photoshopped sections.I selected these sections because of the expressive lighting and atmoshpere, but I also appreciated the sense of layers and depth that are hinted at. There's a sort of ephemeral and transparent qaulity in the interior, contrasted against the solid black lines of wall cuts. This expresses a clear distinction between space and structure.

Background and Context:
The section is defined from realistic background by the clear linework, as well as the contrast between interior and exterior light conditions. This is the route I believe I will take with my section; a background that clearly shows context and also how it might effect the spatial qualities and views of the building.

Furniture and People:
Figures clearly show scale and movement, however it lacks furniture. I don't believe furniture is necessary for every section (depending on the purpose of the section), however it is extremely useful for indicating space function and zoning. This section negates that issue with labels, but my section is the only drawing I have to communicate the spatial qualities and experiences of my space. I believe furniture will be a more effective way of showcasing this, while having the dual function of indication function/zoning.
 

Above: 'V & A at Dundee' proposal


Above: Loisium Hotel
http://www.archdaily.com/5524/loisium-hotel-steven-holl/1409246225_06-section-aa/

Linework:
A more conventional section; it has extremely clear linework and lineweight, however I have decided against doing this kind of section. While it fulfills the tectonic criteria, it does not express the spatial qualities and experience of the spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment